POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : color mixing tool : Re: color mixing tool Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color mixing tool
From: scott
Date: 30 Nov 2009 06:10:39
Message: <4b13a82f$1@news.povray.org>
> Sometimes when I need a real-life color, I will open a photo with
> IrfanView and click on the color I want, to read the RGB values. I take
> those values and convert them in POV like so:
>
> rgb <128,96,250>/256

You do realise that photos are usually in sRGB colour space and POV expects
linear colour values?  By simply pasting the numbers into POV the colours in
the resulting image are going to be washed out and probably of the incorrect
hue...

Better to do a simple inverse gamma correction inside POV (the 2.2 here
roughly approximates the sRGB -> linear conversion):

rgb <pow(128/255,2.2),pow(96/255,2.2),pow(250/255,2.2)>

That way the colours in your POV output image should match much better what
you picked in the first place.